Help us share knowledge and encourage the study of South Sudan and Sudan.
If you are interested in any aspect of the Sudans, you are welcome to join us. Membership is open to all regardless of nationality or country of residence.
- preferential access to Sudan Studies, the Society’s journal, which is published twice a year. (Members receive each issue in hard copy when it is published and can use password access to view recent issues on the website.)
- the opportunity to network with generalists and specialists of the study of Sudan and South Sudan.
- the right to attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting, and stand for election to the Committee.
Membership subscriptions fall due on 30th of January each year. The current annual membership subscription rates are as follows:
|Individuals - standard rate (payment by PayPal or standing order)||£18||€28 / £25||US$30 / £25|
|Individuals paying by cheque or cash||£20||€31 / £28||US$34 / £28|
|Students (with identification)||£12||€18 / £16||US$20 / £16|
|Institutions||£28||€35 / £32||US$40 / £32|
Will all members please make sure that they are paying at the current rates, which were agreed by members at the 2019 AGM. If everyone had updated their standing orders in 2020 then SSSUK would have received over £500 extra in subscriptions. That would have gone a long way towards relieving us from any worries about a deficit in our accounts. Please contact email@example.com if you would like any advice on how to update your subscription.
Paying the Subscription
By standing order or cheque:
Please download and post the membership form (PDF).
- If paying by PayPal for someone else, please inform the SSSUK Treasurer by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), giving their name(s) and details to identify your payment.
- If claiming the student rate, please scan your student ID and email it to the SSSUK Treasurer (email@example.com).
By bank transfer:
Payments can also be made directly into society's bank account. Please find the details here.
Gift Aid It!
As a charitable organisation, SSSUK can claim the taxes you pay on your subscription. This can make a significant difference for SSSUK at no cost to you. Please consider the Gift Aid option if you pay income tax and are resident in Britain. You can download the form here. The scheme does not apply if you are not resident in Britain or if you do not pay income tax.
Please make sure you inform the Hon Treasurer immediately if there is a change in your circumstances regarding tax or residency status.
The Small Print
New members joining in the second half of the year are to enjoy an effective 1st year membership of 13-17 Months. This only applies to new members and not to old members rejoining the society after a lapse in their subscription payments. New members who join during the period January-June are treated as existing members.
Any member who does not pay his/her subscription for two consecutive years will have their membership terminated and their details removed from SSSUK database. A final reminder will be sent to the member before removal from the database.
Any member who does not pay his/her subscription for the current year by the time of the AGM, will not receive new issues of Sudan Studies.
SSSUK Membership Form Notes
Membership Standing Order Form
Membership Gift Aid Form